Olive TF Arbequina
Height: 20 feet
Spread: 12 feet
Hardiness Zone: 7b
This spectacular variety is more compact, with a weeping habit; fragrant white flowers in summer give way to green drupes that darken to a glossy brown; can be grown as an ornamental as well; a beautiful accent tree or screen
Arbequina European Olive is bathed in stunning panicles of fragrant creamy white flowers along the branches from late spring to early summer. The fruits are showy brown drupes carried in abundance from mid summer to early fall. The fruit can be messy if allowed to drop on the lawn or walkways, and may require occasional clean-up. It has dark green foliage with grayish green undersides which emerges chartreuse in spring. The glossy narrow leaves remain dark green throughout the winter. The smooth gray bark adds an interesting dimension to the landscape.
This plant is primarily grown as an ornamental, but it's also valued for its edible qualities. The oval pungent fruit is most often used in the following ways:
- Eating When Cooked/Prepared
Arbequina European Olive is an evergreen tree with an upright spreading habit of growth. Its relatively fine texture sets it apart from other landscape plants with less refined foliage.
This tree will require occasional maintenance and upkeep, and should not require much pruning, except when necessary, such as to remove dieback. It is a good choice for attracting birds and butterflies to your yard. It has no significant negative characteristics.
Arbequina European Olive is recommended for the following landscape applications;
- Orchard/Edible Landscaping
- Container Planting
Planting & Growing
Arbequina European Olive will grow to be about 20 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 12 feet. It has a low canopy with a typical clearance of 1 foot from the ground, and is suitable for planting under power lines. It grows at a slow rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live to a ripe old age of 300 years or more; think of this as a heritage tree for future generations!
This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It is very adaptable to both dry and moist locations, and should do just fine under average home landscape conditions. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution. This is a selected variety of a species not originally from North America.
Arbequina European Olive is a fine choice for the yard, but it is also a good selection for planting in outdoor pots and containers. Its large size and upright habit of growth lend it for use as a solitary accent, or in a composition surrounded by smaller plants around the base and those that spill over the edges. Note that when grown in a container, it may not perform exactly as indicated on the tag - this is to be expected. Also note that when growing plants in outdoor containers and baskets, they may require more frequent waterings than they would in the yard or garden.
Please remember that trees are living things that need care, especially when newly planted. It will be essential for you to properly water your tree to keep it healthy and happy.
Sprinkler systems are only designed to water the top few inches of soil for grass growth, and do not reach the deeper roots of a tree.
In addition, put a hose on “trickle” and leaving it is a very easy way to OVER WATER your tree. Over watering is much more detrimental then underwatering. You need to know the actual amount of water you are giving the tree in order to help it thrive. We highly recommend using a tree watering bag to ensure you get the proper amount of water all the way to the bottom roots. You can find a basic water guide here (PDF). Please keep in mind this is only a general guide and you will need to make adjustments as necessary for your specific tree and soil conditions. We are here to help, so please call us with any questions or concerns.
Installation is optional for trees and shrubs 15 gallon and larger.
– Install 15 gallon $50ea.
– Install 30-45 gallon $175ea.
– 65 gallon installation is required and included in the purchase price.
When Fossil Creek installs your tree or shrub it will include the following:
– Proper installation of the tree or shrub in the location you indicate.
– The first round of Root Stimulant to help promote root growth.
– Mulch to help retain moisture and give your tree a clean finished look.
– Tree staking.
– This can be done for an additional fee, please contact us for details
– Removal of existing trees or shrubs.Removal of stumps.
Delivery is available up to 25 miles from our tree farm. Pricing varies by distance, and will be calculated at checkout.
Trees, shrubs and plants (over 3 gallons)
• Trees, shrubs or plants not planted by Fossil Creek are guarantee for 90 days at 50% replacement cost.
• Shrubs or plants planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as a properly functioning, automatic irrigation system is present.
• Trees planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as there is a tree bag or properly functioning bubbler present.
• Acts of nature (such as wind or hail damage, insect/pest infestation, etc.), lack of maintenance (such as excessive over watering or under watering), and/or conditions beyond our control will void the warranty.
• Freeze damaged trees, shrubs or plants will not be warranted.If the tree, shrub, or plant is dead when we arrive, the warranty is void.
• Any tree, shrub or plant found to be warrantable by Fossil Creek will only be replaced one time.
We are trusting you to love and care for your trees and plants. Please call, email, send pictures right away if you have questions or concerns. We want you to be a successful gardener and have a yard you enjoy making memories in!