Plum Santa Rosa
Height: 7-12 feet
Spread: 7-12 feet
Hardiness Zone: 4b
Other Names: Japanese Plum
This variety bears large crimson red fruit with a sweet flavor; an upright spreading tree that is quite ornamental; needs full sun, well-drained soil; a pollenizer is not absolutely necessary, but fruit production will increase if there is one
Santa Rosa Plum is a small tree that is typically grown for its edible qualities. It produces crimson round fruit (technically 'drupes') with yellow flesh which are usually ready for picking in late summer. Note that the fruits have hard inedible pits inside which must be removed before eating or processing. The fruits have a sweet taste and a juicy texture.
The fruit are most often used in the following ways:
- Fresh Eating
Features & Attributes
Santa Rosa Plum is smothered in stunning clusters of fragrant white flowers along the branches in early spring before the leaves. It has forest green foliage throughout the season. The pointy leaves turn yellow in fall. The fruits are showy crimson drupes carried in abundance in late summer. The fruit can be messy if allowed to drop on the lawn or walkways, and may require occasional clean-up.
This is a deciduous tree with an upright spreading habit of growth. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition. This plant will require occasional maintenance and upkeep, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed. Gardeners should be aware of the following characteristic(s) that may warrant special consideration;
Aside from its primary use as an edible, Santa Rosa Plum is sutiable for the following landscape applications;
- Orchard/Edible Landscaping
Planting & Growing
Santa Rosa Plum will grow to be about 20 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 20 feet. It has a low canopy with a typical clearance of 4 feet from the ground, and is suitable for planting under power lines. It grows at a medium rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 40 years or more. This variety requires a different selection of the same species growing nearby in order to set fruit.
This tree is typically grown in a designated area of the yard because of its mature size and spread. It should only be grown in full sunlight. It does best in average to evenly moist conditions, but will not tolerate standing water. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution and will even thrive in inner city environments. This particular variety is an interspecific hybrid.
Please remember that trees are living things that need care, especially when newly planted. It will be essential for you to properly water your tree to keep it healthy and happy.
Sprinkler systems are only designed to water the top few inches of soil for grass growth, and do not reach the deeper roots of a tree.
In addition, put a hose on “trickle” and leaving it is a very easy way to OVER WATER your tree. Over watering is much more detrimental then underwatering. You need to know the actual amount of water you are giving the tree in order to help it thrive. We highly recommend using a tree watering bag to ensure you get the proper amount of water all the way to the bottom roots. You can find a basic water guide here (PDF). Please keep in mind this is only a general guide and you will need to make adjustments as necessary for your specific tree and soil conditions. We are here to help, so please call us with any questions or concerns.
Installation is optional for trees and shrubs 15 gallon and larger.
– Install 15 gallon $50ea.
– Install 30-45 gallon $175ea.
– 65 gallon installation is required and included in the purchase price.
When Fossil Creek installs your tree or shrub it will include the following:
– Proper installation of the tree or shrub in the location you indicate.
– The first round of Root Stimulant to help promote root growth.
– Mulch to help retain moisture and give your tree a clean finished look.
– Tree staking.
– This can be done for an additional fee, please contact us for details
– Removal of existing trees or shrubs.Removal of stumps.
Delivery is available up to 25 miles from our tree farm. Pricing varies by distance, and will be calculated at checkout.
Trees, shrubs and plants (over 3 gallons)
• Trees, shrubs or plants not planted by Fossil Creek are guarantee for 90 days at 50% replacement cost.
• Shrubs or plants planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as a properly functioning, automatic irrigation system is present.
• Trees planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as there is a tree bag or properly functioning bubbler present.
• Acts of nature (such as wind or hail damage, insect/pest infestation, etc.), lack of maintenance (such as excessive over watering or under watering), and/or conditions beyond our control will void the warranty.
• Freeze damaged trees, shrubs or plants will not be warranted.If the tree, shrub, or plant is dead when we arrive, the warranty is void.
• Any tree, shrub or plant found to be warrantable by Fossil Creek will only be replaced one time.
We are trusting you to love and care for your trees and plants. Please call, email, send pictures right away if you have questions or concerns. We want you to be a successful gardener and have a yard you enjoy making memories in!