Height: 15 feet
Spread: 12 feet
Hardiness Zone: 6b
This vigorous, hardy variety matures into a dense habit with individual orange-red flowers that hang from the ends of branches in early to late summer, followed by red fruit; drought tolerant once established, this selection is great for sunny borders
Wonderful Pomegranate has nodding tomato-orange tubular flowers with orange overtones at the ends of the branches from early to late summer, which are interesting on close inspection. The fruits are showy red pomes carried in abundance in early fall. It has dark green foliage. The glossy oval leaves remain dark green throughout the winter.
This plant is primarily grown as an ornamental, but it's also valued for its edible qualities. The large oblong tangy seeds are most often used in the following ways:
- Fresh Eating
Wonderful Pomegranate is a dense multi-stemmed evergreen shrub with a mounded form. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition.
This is a relatively low maintenance shrub, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed. It has no significant negative characteristics.
Wonderful Pomegranate is recommended for the following landscape applications;
- Mass Planting
- General Garden Use
- Container Planting
Planting & Growing
Wonderful Pomegranate will grow to be about 15 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 12 feet. It has a low canopy, and is suitable for planting under power lines. It grows at a slow rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for approximately 30 years.
This shrub should only be grown in full sunlight. It is very adaptable to both dry and moist growing conditions, but will not tolerate any standing water. It is not particular as to soil pH, but grows best in rich soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution. This is a selected variety of a species not originally from North America.
Wonderful Pomegranate makes a fine choice for the outdoor landscape, but it is also well-suited for use in outdoor pots and containers. Because of its height, it is often used as a 'thriller' in the 'spiller-thriller-filler' container combination; plant it near the center of the pot, surrounded by smaller plants and those that spill over the edges. Note that when grown in a container, it may not perform exactly as indicated on the tag - this is to be expected. Also note that when growing plants in outdoor containers and baskets, they may require more frequent waterings than they would in the yard or garden.
Please remember that trees are living things that need care, especially when newly planted. It will be essential for you to properly water your tree to keep it healthy and happy.
Sprinkler systems are only designed to water the top few inches of soil for grass growth, and do not reach the deeper roots of a tree.
In addition, put a hose on “trickle” and leaving it is a very easy way to OVER WATER your tree. Over watering is much more detrimental then underwatering. You need to know the actual amount of water you are giving the tree in order to help it thrive. We highly recommend using a tree watering bag to ensure you get the proper amount of water all the way to the bottom roots. You can find a basic water guide here (PDF). Please keep in mind this is only a general guide and you will need to make adjustments as necessary for your specific tree and soil conditions. We are here to help, so please call us with any questions or concerns.
Installation is optional for trees and shrubs 15 gallon and larger.
– Install 15 gallon $50ea.
– Install 30-45 gallon $175ea.
– 65 gallon installation is required and included in the purchase price.
When Fossil Creek installs your tree or shrub it will include the following:
– Proper installation of the tree or shrub in the location you indicate.
– The first round of Root Stimulant to help promote root growth.
– Mulch to help retain moisture and give your tree a clean finished look.
– Tree staking.
– This can be done for an additional fee, please contact us for details
– Removal of existing trees or shrubs.Removal of stumps.
Delivery is available up to 25 miles from our tree farm. Pricing varies by distance, and will be calculated at checkout.
Trees, shrubs and plants (over 3 gallons)
• Trees, shrubs or plants not planted by Fossil Creek are guarantee for 90 days at 50% replacement cost.
• Shrubs or plants planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as a properly functioning, automatic irrigation system is present.
• Trees planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as there is a tree bag or properly functioning bubbler present.
• Acts of nature (such as wind or hail damage, insect/pest infestation, etc.), lack of maintenance (such as excessive over watering or under watering), and/or conditions beyond our control will void the warranty.
• Freeze damaged trees, shrubs or plants will not be warranted.If the tree, shrub, or plant is dead when we arrive, the warranty is void.
• Any tree, shrub or plant found to be warrantable by Fossil Creek will only be replaced one time.
We are trusting you to love and care for your trees and plants. Please call, email, send pictures right away if you have questions or concerns. We want you to be a successful gardener and have a yard you enjoy making memories in!