Maple Summer Red
Height: 40 feet
Spread: 25 feet
Hardiness Zone: 4b
Other Names: Swamp Maple, Scarlet Maple
An outstanding shade tree with burgundy red new foliage that matures to dark purplish green; in autumn, older leaves turn yellow while younger ones turn orange or purple; a dense broad tree that provides welcome summer shade
Summer Red Red Maple has dark green foliage which emerges burgundy in spring. The lobed leaves turn an outstanding yellow in the fall. Neither the flowers nor the fruit are ornamentally significant. The furrowed silver bark and brick red branches add an interesting dimension to the landscape.
Summer Red Red Maple is a deciduous tree with a more or less rounded form. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition.
This is a relatively low maintenance tree, and should only be pruned in summer after the leaves have fully developed, as it may 'bleed' sap if pruned in late winter or early spring. It has no significant negative characteristics.
Summer Red Red Maple is recommended for the following landscape applications;
Planting & Growing
Summer Red Red Maple will grow to be about 40 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 25 feet. It has a high canopy with a typical clearance of 7 feet from the ground, and should not be planted underneath power lines. As it matures, the lower branches of this tree can be strategically removed to create a high enough canopy to support unobstructed human traffic underneath. It grows at a fast rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 80 years or more.
This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It is quite adaptable, prefering to grow in average to wet conditions, and will even tolerate some standing water. It is not particular as to soil type, but has a definite preference for acidic soils, and is subject to chlorosis (yellowing) of the leaves in alkaline soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution. This is a selection of a native North American species.
Please remember that trees are living things that need care, especially when newly planted. It will be essential for you to properly water your tree to keep it healthy and happy.
Sprinkler systems are only designed to water the top few inches of soil for grass growth, and do not reach the deeper roots of a tree.
In addition, put a hose on “trickle” and leaving it is a very easy way to OVER WATER your tree. Over watering is much more detrimental then underwatering. You need to know the actual amount of water you are giving the tree in order to help it thrive. We highly recommend using a tree watering bag to ensure you get the proper amount of water all the way to the bottom roots. You can find a basic water guide here (PDF). Please keep in mind this is only a general guide and you will need to make adjustments as necessary for your specific tree and soil conditions. We are here to help, so please call us with any questions or concerns.
Installation is optional for trees and shrubs 15 gallon and larger.
– Install 15 gallon $50ea.
– Install 30-45 gallon $175ea.
– 65 gallon installation is required and included in the purchase price.
When Fossil Creek installs your tree or shrub it will include the following:
– Proper installation of the tree or shrub in the location you indicate.
– The first round of Root Stimulant to help promote root growth.
– Mulch to help retain moisture and give your tree a clean finished look.
– Tree staking.
– This can be done for an additional fee, please contact us for details
– Removal of existing trees or shrubs.Removal of stumps.
Delivery is available up to 25 miles from our tree farm. Pricing varies by distance, and will be calculated at checkout.
Trees, shrubs and plants (over 3 gallons)
• Trees, shrubs or plants not planted by Fossil Creek are guarantee for 90 days at 50% replacement cost.
• Shrubs or plants planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as a properly functioning, automatic irrigation system is present.
• Trees planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as there is a tree bag or properly functioning bubbler present.
• Acts of nature (such as wind or hail damage, insect/pest infestation, etc.), lack of maintenance (such as excessive over watering or under watering), and/or conditions beyond our control will void the warranty.
• Freeze damaged trees, shrubs or plants will not be warranted.If the tree, shrub, or plant is dead when we arrive, the warranty is void.
• Any tree, shrub or plant found to be warrantable by Fossil Creek will only be replaced one time.
We are trusting you to love and care for your trees and plants. Please call, email, send pictures right away if you have questions or concerns. We want you to be a successful gardener and have a yard you enjoy making memories in!