Height is 60 ft and the spread is up to 95 ft
A graceful southern native variety that eventually produces massive, horizontal spreading limbs, creating a large deep shade canopy; evergreen foliage is leathery, dark green and glossy; very impressive in large landscape areas.
Southern Live Oak has dark green foliage. The glossy oval leaves remain dark green throughout the winter. Neither the flowers nor the fruit are ornamentally significant. However, the fruit can be messy in the landscape and may require occasional clean-up.
Southern Live Oak is a dense multi-stemmed evergreen tree with a shapely oval form. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition.
This tree will require occasional maintenance and upkeep, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed. It is a good choice for attracting birds and squirrels to your yard. Gardeners should be aware of the following characteristic(s) that may warrant special consideration;
Southern Live Oak is recommended for the following landscape applications;
- Vertical Accent
Planting & Growing
Southern Live Oak will grow to be about 60 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 95 feet. It has a low canopy with a typical clearance of 4 feet from the ground, and should not be planted underneath power lines. It grows at a slow rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live to a ripe old age of 150 years or more; think of this as a heritage tree for future generations!
This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It prefers to grow in average to moist conditions, and shouldn't be allowed to dry out. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution and will even thrive in inner city environments. This species is native to parts of North America
Please remember that trees are living things that need care, especially when newly planted. It will be essential for you to properly water your tree to keep it healthy and happy.
Sprinkler systems are only designed to water the top few inches of soil for grass growth, and do not reach the deeper roots of a tree.
In addition, put a hose on “trickle” and leaving it is a very easy way to OVER WATER your tree. Over watering is much more detrimental then underwatering. You need to know the actual amount of water you are giving the tree in order to help it thrive. We highly recommend using a tree watering bag to ensure you get the proper amount of water all the way to the bottom roots. You can find a basic water guide here (PDF). Please keep in mind this is only a general guide and you will need to make adjustments as necessary for your specific tree and soil conditions. We are here to help, so please call us with any questions or concerns.
Installation is optional for trees and shrubs 15 gallon and larger.
– Install 15 gallon $50ea.
– Install 30-45 gallon $175ea.
– 65 gallon installation is required and included in the purchase price.
When Fossil Creek installs your tree or shrub it will include the following:
– Proper installation of the tree or shrub in the location you indicate.
– The first round of Root Stimulant to help promote root growth.
– Mulch to help retain moisture and give your tree a clean finished look.
– Tree staking.
– This can be done for an additional fee, please contact us for details
– Removal of existing trees or shrubs.Removal of stumps.
Delivery is available up to 25 miles from our tree farm. Pricing varies by distance, and will be calculated at checkout.
Trees, shrubs and plants (over 3 gallons)
• Trees, shrubs or plants not planted by Fossil Creek are guarantee for 90 days at 50% replacement cost.
• Shrubs or plants planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as a properly functioning, automatic irrigation system is present.
• Trees planted by Fossil Creek are guaranteed for 1 year at 50% replacement cost, so long as there is a tree bag or properly functioning bubbler present.
• Acts of nature (such as wind or hail damage, insect/pest infestation, etc.), lack of maintenance (such as excessive over watering or under watering), and/or conditions beyond our control will void the warranty.
• Freeze damaged trees, shrubs or plants will not be warranted.If the tree, shrub, or plant is dead when we arrive, the warranty is void.
• Any tree, shrub or plant found to be warrantable by Fossil Creek will only be replaced one time.
We are trusting you to love and care for your trees and plants. Please call, email, send pictures right away if you have questions or concerns. We want you to be a successful gardener and have a yard you enjoy making memories in!